18.2.15

winter


I'm lying in bed, at 2:47pm, when it's 24 degrees outside... and i'm dreaming of winter.

I'm dreaming of the icy blast that hits your face as soon as you open the door, the silent slumber that the world falls into when the snow begins to fall, the romance of needing your other half's body heat to keep you warm.

I'm dreaming of hot chocolates overflowing with cream and marshmallows, of woollen socks and of mittens and beanies and scarves.

I know I shouldn't be wishing for winter, but I am.

I love summer and everything that comes with it, but some days - some days all I want to do is play in the snow. In my mind, snow is the most magical thing.

My social media feeds are full of photos of snow adventures and winter woollies, and it is hard not to crave a life of opposite seasons. I know that we are beyond blessed to be able to call New Zealand home, but I often find myself wishing that my Decembers, Januarys and Februarys could be full of everything warm and cozy, like those in the Northern Hemisphere encounter.

One day we'll get there - one day we'll have a Northern Hemisphere winter and a Northern Hemisphere summer. One day our seasons will switch, but in the meantime I have to learn how to push these thoughts out of my head and embrace the now. The 'now' which is providing me with lazy summer evenings, late night gatherings, and jandals and sun dresses. Afternoons full of iced teas, sunscreen and Fat Freddy's Drop, because...

winter will come soon enough.

6 comments

  1. I FREAKING LOVE YOU! Love your thoughts and dreams girlfriend! You're one of a kind xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) love you too lady. So proud of what you're doing! xx

      Delete
  2. I love the snow and often wish it was winter instead of summer! I'm even more wanderlusty at the moment as I was meant to be going snowboarding next month but I've had to cancel... it hurts, really, really bad haha. Your photographs are always so incredible. xx

    Abby | Eärendil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I would be crying if I had to cancel a ski trip haha. We are hoping to get on the slopes in June or July... Fingers crossed! xx

      Delete
  3. awe i love this so much. i love winter the most. i live in utah and usually we get lots of coldness and snow, but this winter has been like, a freak one. there are birds and flowers outside as i type this! and we don't even have to wear jackets! what is life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a freak winter?! That's not cool!

      Delete

© Ariana Leilani. Design by Fearne.