10.7.15

finding the positives




It's winter.
It's cold.
The snow falls less often than the daily temperatures suggest it would and therefore the 'magic' that comes with winter is few and far between.

I'm a summer girl, through and through. I always have been and I imagine I always will be. Winter doesn't tug at my heart strings like December, January and February do. It's a conscious effort to try and enjoy the cold - the woollen hats, the merino, the icy wind and the big, thick coats.

The mountains are my favourite things about the colder months. A symbol of majestic beauty, catching snow in their creases and light on their shoulders. The mountains are nowhere near close enough for my liking living in Dunedin, and the fact that I only get to see them in all their winter glory once a year makes winter all the more bleak. If I woke up to their grandeur every morning then maybe, just maybe, I'd find some kind of genuine happiness in June, July and August. Tim and I have been talking about possibly moving to Queenstown or Wanaka in the future and soaking up the best of both worlds... another one of our pipe dreams. A brilliant summer and an equally as brilliant winter.

Lately, I've been making an effort to be more intentional with my emotions and with my actions. These two efforts came into fruition with an adventure up Three Mile Hill during a recent cold snap, with the only aim to find the snow and enjoy it.

We ignored the signs that said "Do not enter" and wandered towards the fields of snow we could see in the distance. We found a couple of horses and befriended them. We dodged the black ice and did all we could to avoid the snow that had turned to slush. We listened to Ben Howard and let our minds slip away to far-away places, discussing future travel plans and our dreams of dropping everything, becoming hippies and chasing the sun.

It was fun.
In that moment, winter was fun.
And for that, I am thankful.




Side note: The lovely lady featured in these photos is Jule. We've known of each other for years, but it's only been this year where we've really got to know each other properly. Jule has quickly become one of my new, favourite adventure buddies. She's always up for a drive - this way or that way, to "see what we can find" and to this point, has never turned me down. (I know you're reading this Jule, so you better keep that record going...) She has recently started her own blog and that too has quickly become one of my favourites. Check it out by clicking here. DO IT. ;-)

Post a Comment

© Ariana Leilani. Design by Fearne.